Q. My check engine light came on and or my Cruise control light is flashing, is My Subaru ok to drive?
A. The check engine light can come on for one of many reasons, as such there is really no way to know if its for a loose gas cap or something much more serious without at a minimum a code scan. Starting in 2005 Subaru commanded the Cruise light to flash as well as disabling the cruise control to get your attention. As long as the light is on steady and there is no apparent change in the way your Subaru is performing its most likely ok to drive however we suggest contacting us through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or if you prefer calling us 425 828 3600 and trying to get it in as soon as you can. If the check engine light were to begin flashing that is an indication that the engine is misfiring and really should not be driven and rather should be towed to our repair facility. This may also be a good time to consider purchasing a Code Scanner (pictured below) to keep in your glove box for just these type of situations, if you are able to scan it yourself you could contact us with a code number and we will be in a better position to help you.
- The light is yellow, it means proceed with caution.
- If there is a change in how the vehicle is performing, get it in asap.
- If the Check Engine light flashes tow it in.
- The Cruise control light will flash on 05 and newer models, that does NOT mean you need to tow it in.
- Contact us when you can.
- If you have a Scan Tool, scan it and let us know the code.
If you want to learn more about the check engine light and your Subaru you can try these two articles.